Monday, February 12, 2007

I've been AWOL

Well a month has gone by and I haven't managed to post anything but I have certainly been on the trails and keeping busy.

TNT managed to convince me I'd be a great "training" captain in addition to my team captain duties. One of the primary things I do is coordinate volunteers for our water stops along the route. Now getting someone to be out on a trail at 0800 on a Saturday is challenging enough but add in our several week spell of 20 degree mornings and some days it feels impossible. Our runners have the benefit of motion to keep them warm (they say that after you get moving it will feel 20 degrees warmer) but our volunteers must don the long johns and extra layers to keep us hydrated. Our normal operating procedure is to pour water into cups for runners to grab -- but it's starting to freeze on the surface! Because of the sugar/salt combination Powerade doesn't freeze as quickly!

Running in this weather has been a challenge - two Saturdays ago I ran 8 miles for the first time in about 3 months into a "refreshing" head wind for the first 4 miles. I couldn't wait to turn around and have the wind at my back. Family matters called me away this past Saturday but I did sneak a run in -- however I wasn't so lucky with the wind this time. I ran the route below twice -- first time clockwise and the second time counter clockwise. I was secretly hoping that the second loop would put the wind in my favor on Ocean Avenue -- but mother nature was having fun with me and shifted the wind.

Run at the Shore

Proving that TNT participation is a contagious thing my friend Sarah has started her own TNT journey -- to complete her first ever triathalon. Her blog is linked to the right... it's a fun read.

No comments: