Monday, November 20, 2006

Releasing my inner Rocky or my inner Kenyan?!?

I closed out the fall running season by running the Philadelphia Half Marathon. The course began and ended at the Eakins Oval in front of the set of steps that Rocky Balboa made famous. Thankfully the course didn't involve any stair work.

My training partner was injured so I was on my own for this one. Nervous?!? A little... but better weather makes for better running, the course was reasonably flat and I knew I was ready. The first 5.5 miles of the course allowed for muliple chances for spectators to catch their runners and between mile 7 and 8 we ran through the Drexel University campus -- including up Fraternity and Sorority Row. Sigma Phi Episilon and Delta Zeta (my mom's sorority) were out in force on their side by side front porches drinking and whooping it up.

Around mile 1 I spotted was has to be the best sign for a runner ever - it read "Go [some runner's name] Go -- release your inner Kenyan!" My inner Kenyan must have been released as well -- I finished in 2:23:46 -- and more importantly I didn't feel like I was going to pass out!

1 comment:

ShoreTurtle said...

Congratulations! It was a great day to run in Philly.